The most recent work by lichtblau.wagner architects in Eisenstadt, in the province of Burgenland, is the architectural project of the renovation and extension of the cathedral and the urban renewal of the square around the cathedral. There is no boundary between architecture and urban planning; one stems from the other, and one is inconceivable without the other.
The Cathedral of St. Martin, located at the top elevation of the town and close to the ramparts and the tower, has retained its fortified church character up to the present day. A small Chapel of St. Martin existed as early as 1200 on the site of the present-day presbytery. The church was continuously extended until the 16th century around that core; it also underwent changes during the Baroque and Historicism.