The existing ruins of the renaissance Szathmáry Palace is one of Hungary’s most valuable protected monuments. The ruins are located in a park of Tettye Valley in the northeast part of Pécs, where the dense historical urban fabric meets nature. The valley rises almost from the heart of the city, offering a magnificent view of the city from the top. Bishop György Szathmáry (1457–1524) built his own Renaissance-style summer residence here at the very beginning of the 16th century. A former archeological excavation confirmed that the Bishop of Pécs had a building with inner courtyard made that was rebuilt a number of times later with additions such as the south-east tower constructed in the mid−16th century, during Ottoman Empire occupation. At the beginning of the 20th century, one part of the building was demolished and certain openings were strengthened with arches, thus providing a sense of romantic ruin aesthetics. Until recently, the ruin was used as a background scene for a summer theatre. Despite the long history and its superb location, the palace in its bad condition was unable to fulfil the proper role following from its historical and architectural importance.